Friends , I am presenting below some facts what Nehru said about KASHMIR,Please feel free to pass your valuable comments , just see FACES of Jawahar Lal Nehru ( I doubt if he was the real LAL of INDIA ) :
* “Our view which we have repeatedly made public is that the question of accession in any disputed territory or State must be decided in accordance with wishes of people and we adhere to this view.”· JAWAHARLAL NEHRU
* (in telegram No. 402-Primin-2227 dated 27 October 1947 to Prime Minister of Pakistan repeating telegram addressed to Prime Minister of United Kingdom).
* “In regard to accession also, it has been made clear that this is subject to reference to people of State and their decision.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (in telegram No.413 dated 28 October 1947 addressed to Prime Minister of Pakistan).
* “ …….the people of Kashmir would decide the question of accession. It is open to them to accede to either Dominion then.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (in telegram No.255 dated 31 October 1947 addressed to Prime Minister of Pakistan).
* “Kashmir should decide question of accession by plebiscite or referendum under international auspices such as those of the United Nations.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (Letter No. 368-Primin dated 21 November 1947 to Prime Minister of Pakistan).
* “We are anxious not to finalize anything in a moment of crisis and without the fullest opportunity to be given to the people of Kashmir to have their say. It is for them ultimately to decide.
* “And let me make it clear that it has been our policy all along that where there is a dispute about the accession of a state to either Dominion, the accession must be made by the people of that state.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU
* (Broadcast to the Nation: “All India Radio”: 2 November 1947). “The issue in Kashmir is whether violence and naked force should decide the future or the will of the people.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (Statement in Indian Constituent Assembly; 25 November 1947).
* “We have not opposed at any time an over-all plebiscite for the State as a whole…….” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU
* (in telegram dated 16 August 1950 addressed to the U.N. Representative for India and Pakistan: S/1791 : Anne 1(B).
* “The most feasible method of ascertaining the wishes of the people was by fair and impartial plebiscite.”
* JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (Joint press communique of the Prime Ministers of India and Pakistan issued in Delhi after their meeting on 20 August 1953).
* “People seem to forget that Kashmir is not a commodity for sale or to be bartered. It has an individual existence and its people must be the final arbiters of their future.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU, (Report to the All-India Congress Committee, 6 July 1951; The Statesman, New Delhi, 9 July 1951).
* “Kashmir is not a thing to be bandied about between India and Pakistan but it has a soul of its own and an individuality of its own. Nothing can be done without the goodwill and consent of the people of Kashmir.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU, (Statement in the Indian Parliament, 31 March 1955).
* “We had given our pledge to the people of Kashmir, and subsequently to the United Nations; we stood by it and we stand by it today. Let the people of Kashmir decide.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU, (Statement in the Indian Parliament, 12 February 1951).
* “We have taken the issue to the United Nations and given our word of honour for a peaceful solution. As a great nation, we cannot go back on it. We have left the question for final solution to the people of Kashmir and we are determined to abide by their decision.”, · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU, (Amrita Bazar Patrika, Calcutta, 2 January 1952).
* “If, after a proper plebiscite, the people of Kashmir said, ‘We do not want to be with India’, we are committed to accept that. We will accept it though it might pain us. We will not send any army against them. We will accept that, however hurt we might feel about it, we will change the Constitution, if necessary.”, · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU, (Statement in the Indian Parliament, 26 June 1952).
* “I want to stress that it is only the people of Kashmir who can decide the future of Kashmir. It is not that we have merely said that to the United Nations and to the people of Kashmir; it is our conviction and one that is borne out by the policy that we have pursued, not only in Kashmir but every where.
* “I started with the presumption that it is for the people of Kashmir to decide their own future. We will not compel them. In that sense, the people of Kashmir are sovereign.”· JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (Statement in Indian Parliament, 7 August 1952)
* “The whole dispute about Kashmir is still before the United Nations. We cannot just decide things concerning Kashmir. We cannot pass a bill or issue an order concerning Kashmir or do whatever we want.· JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (The Statesman, 1 May 1953)
* “Leave the decision regarding the future of this State to the people of the State is not merely a promise to your Government but also to the people of Kashmir and to the world.”· JAWAHARLAL NEHRU(In telegram No. 25 dated 31 October 1947 addressed to Prime Minister of Pakistan).
* “In regard to accession also it has been made clear that this is subject to reference to people of State and their decision.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU(In telegram No.413 dated 28 October 1947 addressed to Prime Minister of Pakistan).
* “That Government of India and Pakistan should make a joint request to U.N.O. to undertake a plebiscite in Kashmir at the earliest possible date.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU(In telegram No. Primin-304 dated 8 November 1947 addressed to Prime Minister of Pakistan).
* “We have always right from the beginning accepted the idea of the Kashmir people deciding their fate by referendum or plebiscite………..” “Ultimately, the final decision of settlement, which must come, has first of all to be made basically by the people of Kashmir…….” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (Statement at Press Conference in London, 16 January 1951, The Statesman, 18 January 1951).
* “But so far as the Government of India are concerned, every assurance and international commitment in regard to Kashmir stands.” · JAWAHARLAL NEHRU (Statement in the Indian Council of States; 18 May 1954).